Code of Ethics
- We value a personal approach to education which provides the student access to faculty and staff — education provided in a small collegial atmosphere.
- We value our high quality academic programs which provide practical, technical education with the liberal arts tradition.
- We value a supportive, caring environment exemplified by mutual trust and respect and where each individual has worth through a holistic, student-centered focus. We respect not only the rights but the feelings of others.
- We value the exploration of new paradigms and the creative energy needed to stay at the forefront of knowledge.
- We value systematic assessment of all aspects of the University’s operation and constructive improvements based on these evaluations.
- We value our public service role. “Enter to learn, go forth to serve” is a traditional motto at Lake Superior State University.
- We value our collaborative partnerships characterized by high ethical standards with international colleagues, businesses, other educational institutions, community organizations, regional contacts and governmental entities.
- We value our unique geographical setting with its natural beauty and its international focus.
- We value the educational opportunities which are provided in a safer environment.
- We value the University’s physical plant with its historical buildings which are both state and national treasures.
- We value a work ethic which emphasizes productive time-on-task, diligence, ethical behavior and responsibility in the student’s personal development.
- We value our extracurricular, co-curricular programs and activities which contribute to the students’ personal and professional growth.
- We value an environment which celebrates diversity and focuses on the value of each individual’s contribution to the general welfare.
- We value the alumni and friends of the University who provide inspiration, loyalty and support.
- We value decisions which are in the best interests of the University and its students.
Expectations for Student Learning
Lake Superior State University is committed to following a clear process of assessment to enhance continuous quality improvement and to document student learning in both the major program of study and across the general education requirements. This continuous evaluation process works to assure high quality teaching and effective student learning, while meeting federal requirements and the accreditation criteria of the Higher Learning Commission. Faculty at Lake Superior State University deem certain characteristics as essential to a liberal education, increasing value for the students in their lives as responsible citizens; faculty have therefore collectively agreed upon the characteristics of the educated person the institution hopes to graduate. Students who complete the general education courses at Lake Superior State University will be able to demonstrate attributes of the general education outcomes for communication skills, mathematics, cultural diversity, humanities, and social and natural science.