Computer Networking, BS
This degree gives students the knowledge and tools necessary to be successful in the field of computer networking. Courses cover a range of networking topics, including network operating systems, hardware, web page design, and system administration.
Students will have hands-on experience with Linux, Novell and Windows platforms, as well as networking hardware and operating system installation.
Some of the highlights of the program are:
- Students get hands-on training in networking hardware and software, and receive the necessary concepts of hardware, software and network operating systems.
- Students are prepared to take industry-standard examinations, such as those established by Cisco, Novell and Microsoft.
- Students can choose software design, research, or co-operative education as their senior capstone experience.
Program Learning Outcomes
- Analyze the needs of a user, design a computer network to satisfy those needs, and install, modify and maintain the network environment relative to both hardware and software. (Analyze Needs)
- Design, install, and implement appropriate security, intrusion detection, and troubleshooting techniques and methodologies in a communication network. (Design)
- Evaluate changes in technology, security, and user needs based on accepted and updated best practices in the field. (Security and Best Practices)
- Communicate technical information relative to problems and solutions to both other professionals in the field as well as involved non-technical persons. (Communications)
|Departmental GPA must be 2.50 or higher|
|CSCI 103||Survey of Computer Science||3|
|CSCI 105||Intro to Computer Programming||3|
|CSCI 106||Web Page Design & Development||3|
|CSCI 121||Principles of Programming||4|
|CSCI 163||Troubleshooting/Repair of PC's||3|
|CSCI 211||Database Applications||4|
|CSCI 221||Computer Networks||3|
|CSCI 248||Network Operating Systems I||3|
|CSCI 263||Managing Computer Security||3|
|CSCI 281||Intro to UNIX and Networking||3|
|CSCI 292||Computer Networking Project||4|
|CSCI 323||Routers and Switches||3|
|CSCI 327||Web App Design & Development||3|
|CSCI 348||Network Operating Systems II||3|
|CSCI 351||App Interface Development||3|
|or CSCI 371||Multi-Platform App Development|
|CSCI 412||Unix Network Administration||3|
|CSCI 418||Senior Project I||3|
|CSCI 419||Senior Project II||3|
|CSCI 422||Network and Computer Security||3|
|BUSN 121||Introduction to Business||3|
|BUSN 231||Business Communications||3|
|ENGL 306||Technical Writing||3|
|MATH 111||College Algebra||3|
|MATH 207||Prin of Statistical Methods||3|
General Education: All LSSU bachelor’s degree candidates must complete the LSSU General Education Requirements.
A minimum of 124 credits (at the 100 level or higher) must be earned for graduation with a cumulative gpa of 2.00 or higher. A gpa of 2.50 or higher is required in your Major, and a gpa of 2.00 or higher is required in your General Education Requirements.